Friday, 22 March 2019

Google Analytics API and ASP.Net Core

Some of my posts are meaningful treaties on the nature of software development. Some are detailed explanations of approaches you can use. Some are effectively code dumps. This is one of those.

I recently had need to be able to access the API for Google Analytics from ASP.Net Core. Getting this up and running turned out to be surprisingly tough because of an absence of good examples. So here it is; an example of how you can access a simple page access stat using the API:

async Task<SomeKindOfDataStructure[]> GetUsageFromGoogleAnalytics(DateTime startAtThisDate, DateTime endAtThisDate)
    // Create the DateRange object. Here we want data from last week.
    var dateRange = new DateRange
        StartDate = startAtThisDate.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd"),
        EndDate = endAtThisDate.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd")
    // Create the Metrics and dimensions object.
    // var metrics = new List<Metric> { new Metric { Expression = "ga:sessions", Alias = "Sessions" } };
    // var dimensions = new List<Dimension> { new Dimension { Name = "ga:pageTitle" } };
    var metrics = new List<Metric> { new Metric { Expression = "ga:uniquePageviews" } };
    var dimensions = new List<Dimension> { 
        new Dimension { Name = "ga:date" },
        new Dimension { Name = "ga:dimension1" } 

    // Get required View Id from configuration
    var viewId = $"ga:{"[VIEWID]"}";

    // Create the Request object.
    var reportRequest = new ReportRequest
        DateRanges = new List<DateRange> { dateRange },
        Metrics = metrics,
        Dimensions = dimensions,
        FiltersExpression = "ga:pagePath==/index.html",
        ViewId = viewId

    var getReportsRequest = new GetReportsRequest {
        ReportRequests = new List<ReportRequest> { reportRequest }
    //Invoke Google Analytics API call and get report
    var analyticsService = GetAnalyticsReportingServiceInstance();
    var response = await (analyticsService.Reports.BatchGet(getReportsRequest)).ExecuteAsync();

    var logins = response.Reports[0].Data.Rows.Select(row => new SomeKindOfDataStructure {
        Date = new DateTime(
            year: Convert.ToInt32(row.Dimensions[0].Substring(0, 4)), 
            month: Convert.ToInt32(row.Dimensions[0].Substring(4, 2)), 
            day: Convert.ToInt32(row.Dimensions[0].Substring(6, 2))),
        NumberOfLogins = Convert.ToInt32(row.Metrics[0].Values[0])
    .OrderByDescending(login => login.Date)

    return logins;

/// <summary>
/// Intializes and returns Analytics Reporting Service Instance
/// </summary>
AnalyticsReportingService GetAnalyticsReportingServiceInstance() {
    var googleAuthFlow = new GoogleAuthorizationCodeFlow(new GoogleAuthorizationCodeFlow.Initializer {
        ClientSecrets = new ClientSecrets {
            ClientId = "[CLIENTID]",
            ClientSecret = "[CLIENTSECRET]"

    var responseToken = new TokenResponse {
        AccessToken = "[ANALYTICSTOKEN]",
        RefreshToken = "[REFRESHTOKEN]",
        Scope = AnalyticsReportingService.Scope.AnalyticsReadonly, //Read-only access to Google Analytics,
        TokenType = "Bearer",

    var credential = new UserCredential(googleAuthFlow, "", responseToken);

    // Create the  Analytics service.
    return new AnalyticsReportingService(new BaseClientService.Initializer {
        HttpClientInitializer = credential,
        ApplicationName = "my-super-applicatio",

You can see above that you need various credentials to be able to use the API. You can acquire these by logging into GA. Enjoy!

Wednesday, 6 March 2019

The Big One Point Oh

It's time for the first major version of fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin. It's been a long time coming :-)

A Little History

The fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin was originally the handiwork of Piotr OleĊ›. He raised an issue with ts-loader suggesting it could be the McCartney to ts-loader's Lennon:

Hi everyone!

I've created webpack plugin: fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin that plays nicely with ts-loader. The idea is to compile project with transpileOnly: true and check types on separate process (async). With this approach, webpack build is not blocked by type checker and we have semantic check with fast incremental build. More info on github repo :)

So if you like it and you think it would be good to add some info in about this plugin, I would be greatful.

Thanks :)

We did like it. We did think it would be good. We took him up on his kind offer.

Since that time many people have had their paws on the fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin codebase. We love them all.

One Point Oh

We could have had our first major release a long time ago. The idea first occurred when webpack 5 alpha appeared. "Huh, look at that, a major version number.... Maybe we should do that?" "Great idea chap - do it!" So here it is; fresh out the box: v1.0.0

There are actually no breaking changes that we're aware of; users of 0.x fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin should be be able to upgrade without any drama.

Incremental Watch API on by Default

Users of TypeScript 3+ may notice a performance improvement as by default the plugin now uses the incremental watch API in TypeScript.

Should this prove problematic you can opt out of using it by supplying useTypescriptIncrementalApi: false. We are aware of an issue with Vue and the incremental API. We hope it will be fixed soon - a generous member of the community is taking a look. In the meantime, we will not default to using the incremental watch API when in Vue mode.


As it stands, the plugin supports webpack 2, 3, 4 and 5 alpha. It is compatible with TypeScript 2.1+ and TSLint 4+.

Right that's it - enjoy it! And thanks everyone for contributing - we really dig your help. Much love.